Other Writing Projects

Magazine Articles for Adults:
"Ten Tips on Writing Picture Books." The Writer, June 1999.

"Too Busy to Write?" The Writer, October 2002.

These, and some of the items below, are available through EBSCOhost on-line database. Check your local public library for access.


Magazine Articles for Children:

"Cowboy Talk." Boys’ Quest, Feb/Mar 2007.

"Flag-Waving." Boys’ Quest, Apr/May 2002.

"Kitty and the Mousies." Ladybug, January 2001.

"Shirt Button." Ladybug, February 1998.

"Ten Little Bats," Ladybug, October 2004.

Numerous articles/quizzes in The Christian Science Monitor’s "KidSpace" pages between 1995 and 1997. (Go to www.csmonitor.com and use "Diane Mayr" as your search term at the top of the page.)


Poetry:

I’ve never thought of myself as a poet, but I guess if you write poetry, you must be a poet! I do have a "Poetic License" that was sent to me after I entered a haiku contest held by The Christian Science Monitor about ten years ago!

Back in 1995, The Christian Science Monitor published my first work as a children’s writer. It was called, "Rhyme Time: Let’s Do Terse Verse." "Rhyme Time" ended up being reprinted in a book printed in Braille so that blind kids could enjoy it, too!

I’ve found that I can help children experience history through poems. My favorite project is Kids of the Homefront Army: Poems of World War II America. Many of the poems were inspired by photos in the Library of Congress collection from the Office of War Information. I have decided to share the poems at my blog, Kids of the Homefront Army.

I've also started on a collection of poems about the devastating Hurricane of '38. Here's a picture from Boston, MA following the storm:



Haiku, Tanka, and Haiga:

In Stories from Where We Live: The North Atlantic Coast, an anthology edited by Sara St. Antoine (Milkweed Editions, 2000), there are several haiku that I wrote about the New Hampshire coastline in New Castle. (By the way, the New Hampshire coast is only 18 miles long, making it the shortest coastline of any ocean bordered state in the U.S.) My haiku have appeared in The Christian Science Monitor, in annual member anthologies published by the Haiku Society of America, and in numerous online journals such as The Heron's Nest, Notes from the Gean, Haiga Online, haijinx and Sketchbook.

My book, Ants to Zenith: Haiku for Kids, is currently unpublished.

Kids may enjoy the tanka in 25 Tanka for Children (an Educators)--my tanka is #8.

Here’s a haiku about something I saw outside my kitchen window:

downpour over...
black beetle
shakes a leg


Miscellaneous:

Other writing includes education standards-based content for selections of a 24 activity book series for PreK to grade 5 for Shakespeare Squared, and, with Muriel L. Dubois, the Jackdaws Publications Primary Source Documents kit, Boston Tea Party to the American Revolution.